Monday, June 04, 2007

How the Other Quarter Lives

Every summer, both individually and collectively, the members of my family make their way to the Hamptons, to Connecticut, to Upstate New York, etc - by staying at other people's houses. I was joking recently with someone that my family could write a book called "House-hopping: The Comfortable Family's Guide to a Busy Summer." I had originally thought to title it "The Poor Man's Guide" as a take-off on that expression but when I was little kid, I asked my Mom if we were rich or poor and she replied "we're comfortable" so I thought that was more accurate. Growing up, when not at camp, I used to accompany my parents to the second homes of their various friends. But now, apparently, I'm at the age where my own friends have summer homes, well at least one does - in Southampton.

Over Memorial Weekend, I had a wonderful time at Jen & Stan's beautiful and spacious house. The weekend basically consisted of two simple activities: pool time and eating. The weekend was also notable for the discovery of Chips Ahoy Soft Baked Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (no raisins!) And a special shout out to Mike for the best burger I've ever had and a to myself for making nachos at an impressive pace. I love Southampton and I'm not really sure why. My wavy brown hair, pale skin, and non-short shorts stick out in this town where Jews AND non Jews look like Tory Burch, men wear pink shirts and red pants (sometimes together), you can play "count the Range Rovers," and little kids eat lunch at Sant Ambroeus for what it would cost to make 14 PB&J sandwiches.

As someone who grew up in the city, Southampton is like a fun, fancy suburb and suburbs have something that I truly love - giant supermarkets. I was once ridiculed as a kid for suggesting to Samantha Wasserman that we go to her local supermarket on Shelter Island and "walk up and down the aisles" because we were bored. I've always loved the big supermarkets outside of the city, but I love them especially when my parents aren't around to ensure the purchasing of healthy items and only what we "need." As both Jen and Charlotte can attest to, when we get to the Walgreen's in Southampton, I basically morph into a contestant on "Supermarket Sweep." And I love every minute of it. There's no real point to this whole post other than to say that I feel very fortunate that though my family has no out-of-the-city abode of our own, we have kind and generous friends who let us soak in the glory of their homes and their giant supermarkets. Because even though I am urban-centric, I do love the ocean (but not sand), pool noodles, BBQ, and a full shopping cart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home