Thursday, March 02, 2006

March of the Five Dollar Bills

I'm glad it's March. Things are looking up.

No offense to February, it wasn't terrible, but there's something about February that is strange (maybe it's to do with the freakish phenomenon of only 28 days and the unfortunate people who are stuck at 5 years old because of leap year). I try to avoid the Winter Blues because it's just so obvious, but it's hard.

Here's how I sum up this past February: I went out last Friday night, to a bar that I'd researched on City Search in an attempt to go somewhere new and fun. A boy came up behind me, put his hand on my waist, and in what I can only assume was a wholly misguided attempt to hit on me, leaned in and uttered, "are you from Long Island?" My phrase BLECH ON TOAST was created for that guy. Turns out, he was from Long Island, so I guess he was trying to bond or something, but that ain't the way to go douche.

But March, March has promise. It's only 2 days in, and I can feel a change already.

Although it technically occurred on the last day of February, a miracle took place, one that will get me through the last month of winter: Dolly Parton's song "Travelin' Thru" FINALLY became available as a single on iTunes. Before you scoff, just know this - it's from the film Transamerica and it's awesome and that Dolly, she sho can sing!

And then yesterday, I gave a cab driver a twenty dollar bill, and he gave me 3 five dollar bills back as change. For those of you that don't know already, five dollar bills are my favorite, so that was another sign.

And that's only the beginning people, there are a bunch of things taking place this month that I have to look forward to:

THE ACADEMY AWARDS - George Clooney. Jake Gyllenhaal. Jon Stewart. (SIGH)

BIRTHDAYS - Is it just me, or are there a tremendous amount of birthdays in March? Which means, by my genius calculation that I could not do in my head, lots o' peops having sex in June huh? That makes sense. Anyways, I like other people's birthdays, so that should be fun (special shout out to my Father & Sister, because I know I'll get some good meals out of those).

CONCERTS - Belle & Sebastian tonight. Matt Pond PA in 3 weeks. I'm tragically hip.

THE RETURN OF THE SOPRANOS - I love this show and I missed it while it was gone. I pretty much remember what happened last season: Tony & Carmela reconciled, Johnny Sack (one of the best character names on TV) got sent to the slammer, Meadow got engaged to a tool named Finn, and we mourned the loss of Adriana - who stuck out like Waldo on NBC's blechfest Joey. Most of all, I'm excited to see Robert Iler (aka AJ Soprano) for the first time since he was drunk in my building elevator at 9 o'clock in the morning.

FIRST DAY OF SPRING - I'm getting sick of my winter jacket and all my sweaters. And I need it to be nice out so I can put my spastic body to the test and see if I get all itchy when I run outdoors (versus the treadmill). I'm pretty sure it's not going to go well, but at least I won't wonder.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment, and I have to get back to work. But I'm optimistic. I really hope I didn't just jinx the entire month. That would be sad. No wait, wait, I'm still optimistic - I've got Dolly, five dollar bills, and the affection of the bridge & tunnel crowd to keep me going.