Writer's Blog

As you may have noticed, I haven't blogged recently. I've suffered from a little bit of writer's block (or writer's blog as my Dad gleefully coined it) but mostly it's just that I've been a lot busier at work and thus unable to really focus on writing a good blog. For me, this has always been about practicing my writing, so I didn't want to force it. And I just haven't had the time to ponder a specific idea so I could write a cohesive blog. And then I realized that I do have some things to say. These thoughts might be random, and unrelated to each other, but who doesn't love a little miscellany on a Wednesday? So, thanks for being patient. And here goes.
I hope you guys have been watching The Daily Show coverage of the Cheney shooting. It's amazing. In case you missed it, here are some gems:
"Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot a man during a quail hunt ... making 78-year-old Harry Whittington the first person shot by a sitting veep since Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton, of course, (was) shot in a duel with Aaron Burr over issues of honor, integrity and political maneuvering. Whittington? Mistaken for a bird."
"Moms and dads, if you're watching right now, I can't emphasize this enough: don't let your kids go hunting with the vice president. I don't care what kind of lucrative contracts they're trying to land or energy regulations they're trying to get lifted -- he'll shoot them in the face."
Some other quick recommendations:
- Sarah Jones's one-woman show "Bridge & Tunnel" on Broadway. It's like nothing I've ever seen.
- The Italian film "Best of Youth." It's out on DVD now. It's a beautiful film.
I just didn't think it would happen to me. My iPod broke. It stopped working all of the sudden. No warning of illness (no little cough, high temperature, or heart palpitations), it just pooped out. Actually, it let out one last sigh of a music note, and then boom, DUNZO. The last song I listened to on my iPod before it died was Numb/Encore - the Linkin Park/Jay-Z collabo. Maybe my iPod didn't approve of the mash-up. The saddest part (other than having to plop down mad dough for a new one) is that I lost about 1,500 songs that I'd gotten from other people. And they don't make my iPod anymore so I'm forced to get the video iPod even though I don't want it. The whole iPod phenomenon is pretty flawed - they'll just keep breaking and I don't really have TANGIBLE music anymore. I'm considering reverting back to my discman. It's times like these that I understand why my Dad hates technology. It's fucking annoying. And I know as soon as I purchase a new iPod (because really, there's no way I can go back to a discman), a newer/better iPod will come out, that like also acts as a helicopter or something.
Here are the two best things that happened to me on Valentines Day:
(1) A text message from Ramon that read "Happy Valentines Day, enjoy the candy bars."
(2) Receiving a work-related email from someone named Lyerly Spongberg Peniston, arguably the best name I've ever come across (I'm sorry Kate, it does surpass Wing Tang and Maureen Ruggles).
Last night after a late dinner, I met up with my roommate and some of her friends at the bar Olives in the W Hotel. Someone had made the point to me that everyone who is out at bars on Valentines Day must be single because couples are all at dinner or whatever, so even though it was late on a school night, I thought I'd check this out for myself. As I entered the bar, not only did I not see any cute boys, but I didn't really see any boys period. My roommate was with a large group of girl friends from law school who, with almost no exceptions, were wearing busty tank tops in the dead of winter. One girl's top had a giant hole in the middle that exposed more than half of each boob. I looked down at my pretty turtleneck sweater and frowned. Then I scanned the rest of the bar for boys and couldn't find any, which was actually a good thing, because if there had been any guys, to get their attention, I would have had to literally remove my pants.
I heart Tim McGraw.
That was some snow we got huh? I really can't remember the last time it snowed for that long, unabated. Gots to love polar ice caps melting (that might be a stretch but I really feel comfortable blaming everything on the current administration, even the Pink Panther remake). Snowstorms aren't as fun now that I'm out of school and can never again experience that moment of utter joy when my Dad woke me up to say "Snow Day! Go back to sleep." My favorite thing about snow might be that it's a great reason to have hot chocolate, which for some reason tastes better when there's snow on the ground (and made with milk; hot chocolate made with water is the embodiment of mediocre). Having all-weather boots really made the last couple days quite enjoyable actually. While everyone else was waiting single-file to walk in the tiny plowed track on every street corner, I could run through the thicker snow piles next to them, kicking snow in their faces with my shiny waterproof boots.
Alright, I have to get back to the j-o-b. I hope you found the return to blog comforting. It's good to be back. Oh, and I'm really going to miss Arrested Development.

<< Home