Friday, June 23, 2006

Notes from the (Barcelona) Underground

This blog has to do with Barcelona only tangentially, and the underground not at all, but I liked that title.

I am recovering from the Spainish stomach flu. I'll spare you the details but know this - in the past FOUR days, I've consumed just this - some water (but apparently not enough), a couple sips of ginger tea, a piece of watermelon, 1 piece of toast, a banana, 2 bottles of gatorade, and an IV drip. And please note that I said consumed, not digested. I wish I had romantically contracted the Spainish flu from someone named Alfonso...or Juan...or Gaudi...but wait, back to the IV drip, it was actually quite refreshing. I never knew this before, but saline is delightful, especially if you're dehydrated. If only it came in a tapas form. Actually, nevermind, I could not see tapas for 6 months and it would be too soon. I really shouldn't blame my ailment on Spain because it occurred on the 6 hour delayed, 7 hour flight home from Spain. So I'll blame Iberia Air. Even though I didn't eat the plane food. Oh the irony. But I'm jumping ahead. Let's go back, to the flight en route to Spain.

I can't sleep on planes. Hardly at all. Sometimes for like, 3 minute spurts, but not usually. It sucks. So what's a girl to do on a 7 hour flight when her sister is fast asleep next to her? Apparently she takes out a notebook and writes down, in a frenzy, an unnecessary/random/sampling list of her likes and dislikes. Wow, I'd like to take THIS moment to stop speaking (writing) in the 3rd person (shout out - "Jimmy likes Elaine").

Anyways, I asked myself, self, is it too narcissistic to put this on your blog? And then I thought well, what is a blog, if not narcissism or at least, a healthy dose of self-absorption? So here I go. This is plucked verbatim, and in the order it came to me, from my notebook (you cannot prove that I removed "Christina Aguilera's music" from my pro list!)

THINGS I LIKE A LOT

A new issue of Vanity Fair
Warm chocolate souffle cake with vanilla ice cream
J. Crew tank tops
1st season of the OC
Music from Grey's Anatomy
A new pair of jeans
An old pair of jeans
A fully checked off packing or to-do list
Coffee in a mug
The anticipation of travel/vacation
An uninterrupted night's sleep
A giant brunch menu
A slice of pizza
Sweating at the gym
Tina Fey
Morning alcoholic beverages (mimosa, bloody mary, etc)
Documentaries
Penguins
Sunday night dinners with my family
Kavalier & Clay
Teasing kisses
A glass of red wine
My mom's scrambled eggs, my dad's poached eggs
Gray sneakers
Boys with a high laugh
Imogen Heap
Praise
DVR
4 day long trips to Los Angeles
The word ridiculous
The Backwards Seinfeld
Layers
Loyalty
The movie Sideways
Cereal with banana and/or strawberries
Lemon
Political celebrities
Pigs in a blanket
Self-deprecation
New friends
Bulldogs
The movie Kissing Jessica Stein
Joshua Radin
Seth Rogen
The Pajama Game
Good curly hair
Abbreviations
Kim Clijsters
DVD commentary and bloopers
Cate Blanchett
Oprah
Cafe con leche
Scones & biscuits
Aaron Sorkin
Shonda Rhimes
People-watching (especially people dancing)
Chamomile tea
Perfect cantaloupe
Steak tartare @ Blue Ribbon Bakery
The height of each of my parents

THINGS I DON'T LIKE

Disappointment
Anne Hathaway
Ordering a bad meal
Little girls getting manis & pedis
The words: agnostic & overrated
The fact that my physical ailments come in 3's
Unearned entitlement
Pores
Sand
Blisters from shoes you just paid for
Veneers
Lint & Stains
Websites changing their format
Lacrosse
James Blunt's songs
Scary movies
Lenny Kravitz
Spending so much time & money at Duane Reade
Sad conversations or experiences that replay in your head
Cuba Gooding Jr's agent
NBC's disrespect of Scrubs
The NY Post
Airplane smell
Apple juice
The View
The fact that the Shake Shack is no longer a secret
Bitterness
The proper tennis serve grip
Contraction
The consistency of cous cous and Chilean sea bass
Obvious beauty
Infidelity
CBS
Jamba Juice
Kobe Bryant
Loosing touch with good people
My inability to nap

Ok, the list is over. (Phew). I must say, after reading it for the first time since I wrote it, that I'm happy my pro list is longer than my con list. Also, both lists are pretty random. I mean, fairly accurate of me, but really just the first things that came to my mind, neither list is comprehensive. But don't worry, I'll spare you that behemoth. Hopefully it's ever-changing anyway. I anticipate some possible backlash for this blog but just remember - I did give you something to peruse when bored at work, no?

As for my trip to Barcelona and Costa Brava - both destinations were wonderful. Great sights, weather, food, friends, wedding, beach, pool, reading, walking, etc. I think I did get a slight tan (or is the Jergens tricking even me?). I'm sad the trip is over, sad to be back at the cubicle, but looking forward to the rest of the summer (and to eating solid foods again!)