Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Deep Thoughts

Apparently I'm into borrowing titles.

I'm feeling old(er). Last week I dreamt that I got pregnant and my Mom said that I had to have the baby in Los Angeles so people in New York wouldn't know about it. The next day, I told my Mom about my dream and she was outraged and offended and said of course she would want me to keep it. This was somewhat of a revelation - proof that I'm getting older. Not that I think about this often, but in the past, I always assumed I wouldn't keep "it" if I got pregnant. But I'm almost 25, which is no longer a teenager, no longer my early 20s, and so I wouldn't get an abobo, I would have the baby. And I'd hope that somehow, it's an Asian boy.

Everything is better in the West Village. The buildings are cuter, the lighting is more flattering, brunch tastes better, I want everything that is being sold in the stores, the coffee is always delicious, the people are more attractive, the list goes on. It's weird.

You know what's oddly comforting? When you see an old friend whom you haven't seen in a really long time and they are the same. And then you realize that you are the same too. You both may look different, more grown up, you're more mature, smarter, all that, but in essence, you are the same people, you haven't changed who you are. It's kind of nice.

I guess everyone must have this experience - the person who sits near you at work and talks really loudly on the phone about personal stuff all day. The kid in the cube next to me is perfectly nice, but for hours on end, I have to hear about ALL the renovation to his Hoboken abode. Frankly, I'd even take him talking about something else personal, something even sordid, because I am being bored to death by the loud phone conversations/debates about tiles and cabinets. I just realized, not everyone has this experience, because some people, they ARE the loud people. Lucky bastards.

It's important to be grateful. For example, I'm not having a very good week at work. But I am grateful that I do not work on the other side of the floor because those people got to work on Monday and discovered that a water mane had broken and flooded all their shit and now they are all displaced while giant disgusting de-humidifiers suck all the moisture out of everything. Whoof.

What in the Sam Hill did we do before Google?

I ended two boycotts this weekend. Am I becoming a more open and forgiving person? Probably not, but here goes.
(1) Up until Saturday, I had never been to the Time Warner Center. I never had any desire to go and I'm not on the Upper West Side all that often, but more importantly - I hate malls. They're just so big and who wants all the stores in one place like that? Not me. I've always hated malls, I think it stems from growing up in NYC and not going to them a lot, and when I did, I always feared I would lose my Mom in the sea of Moms. But on Saturday I was in the neighborhood and if there's one thing that can break one of my boycotts, it's food. I broke my Time Warner Center boycott for a free meal at Thomas Keller's Bouchon. And it was delicious. But for the record, I did not enter any of the stores (including a Williams-Sonoma the size of Rhode Island), I just walked in - ate - and peaced out.
(2) I rented the movie Shopgirl starring Claire Danes. As you may know, I strongly and stubbornly have a hate on for Claire Danes for messing with Mary-Louise Parker. It's unfair, I know, I'm just not down with CD (though yes, like many of you, I will re-watch that boiler room episode of My So-Called Life with a ridiculous smile on my face). But I hadn't seen any movie of her's since the incident, you know the one, wherein she thrust her boring self onto Billy Crudup while his long-time girlfriend was pregnant with his child, but I digress....I rented Shopgirl and I liked it a lot, especially that adorable and miniature Jason Schwartzman.

That's all the deep thoughts I have time for on this Wednesday afternoon. Oh, I guess I have one more (lingering) question - how come bartenders don't know that if you order a club soda, you'd really prefer NOT to have it in a tall glass with a straw, because you are trying to pretend that you're drinking alcohol? Not that I do that, but some people might.