Friday, October 21, 2005

The Gyllenhaal Theory

Ok, so this probably doesn't warrant being the first official blog post, but it's on my mind, so I thought I'd share.

A couple days ago, a co-worker of mine (who shall remain nameless because I heard about that girl with a blog who talked all about work and then got fired) came up to me out of nowhere and said "I know why you like Jake Gyllenhaal."

A little background information - I have a picture of Jake up at my desk. And, he's my buddy icon on instant message. You might be thinking "wow, Susan is a tool" and you'd be right. I also have a picture of Jon Stewart up at my desk, if that makes me any cooler.

Anyways, so this co-worker of mine, a girl I'll call Trista, continues "you look like Jake Gyllenhaal. That's why you like him."

"Huh?" I responded.

"You guys look alike, similar features," she continued. "You like him because you're narcissistic."

She said it in a teasing way and I laughed because I thought it was funny, but I had never noticed that we might have similar features. I wasn't even offended that she compared me to a boy (she did add "yeah, you look like Maggie Gyllenhaal too") because Jake is hot, although it is sort of creepy to be compared, looks-wise, to my future husband. I thought her narcissistic comment was VERY funny, and perhaps true in general, because how could I argue it - aren't blogs like a SYMBOL of someone's belief that he/she/me is awesome? But I kind of brushed it off because I really didn't think it was accurate.

And then, someone else said the same thing to me.

Another co-worker, this one I'll call Job, IM'ed me - "I see a similar quality to you and Jake G. You guys look alike." Now, this comment was out of nowhere and he had no idea that Trista had said the same thing two days before! I was shocked, and amused. Both of these comments were so random, yet NOT, because in my scope of mathematics understanding, two randoms equal a motherf---ing weird coincidental pattern.

I've looked into The Gyllenhaal Theory and here's what I observed - like me, Jake has brown hair, he's tall, he has a sizable forehead, he's often wearing cool sneakers and t-shirts, he has a Jewish mother, etc. He has blue eyes and I have green, but really, that's just a technicality. So, guess I can sort of see what Trista and Job are talking about.

Check it out for yourself here

I'm sure this will be something Jake and I laugh about later on in life, when we're married. Other things we'll laugh about - Bubble Boy, Kirsten Dunst's PAN face and baby teeth, the coincidence that Paul Newman taught him how to drive and I have purchased Fig Newman's at the supermarket, the time I took a camera phone picture of him at the Coldplay concert, the fact that our children will most likely have giant heads, the list goes on.

The End.

P.S. - I think it shows progress that I can laugh off these playful comments by my co-workers. For I did not so much laugh - rather I blushed and died of embarrassment - when a homeless man harassed me and my then-boyfriend on the street, following us and yelling out, "you guys look like brother and sister."

0 Comments:

<< Home